Everyone has a perception of reality about how the world works – a mental model. Like an internal hard drive, your mental model drives your understanding, guides your thinking, and directs your decision making. Mental models are built from everyday experiences, outside influences, and rewards such as money and success. Your own mental model can be both beneficial and detrimental to success. Individuals, teams, and organizations need to regularly update, flex, and reconstruct mental models to improve performance within an organization. The Mental Models online course is a training program that shows you how to examine your own mental model, separate fact from opinion, clarify assumptions, and reveal your own hidden beliefs. Using interactive exercises and activities, this learning experience illustrates the need to tune into one's surroundings, look for opportunities, and approach work with an open mind.
- Understand what mental models are and how they can influence the workplace
- Identify one's personal mental model
- Recognize the mental model assumptions and reveal hidden mental model biases
- Learn how to avoid typical mental mistakes
- Develop the ability to adjust mental models for better performance